WEMO Ideas

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Work with Stringify

by nscheetz on ‎11-15-2016 10:04 PM

IFTTT is only good for simple applets. There is far more flexibility in Stringify.  Please partner with them so that WeMo devices can be included in Stringify experiences, They are FAR more robust than IFTTT and easy to create. Thanks

Comments
by Petr
on ‎01-11-2017 05:51 PM

Upvote on this one. Whilst IFTTT works with Stringify, the workaround has limitations. Direct Stringify integration would be great!

I do believe there was the interest from Stringify, but access to the SDK has been closed to new devs!?

by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-12-2017 07:47 AM

The SDK is for local access, Belkin doesn't share/expose it's cloud service.  "Cloud" services like IFTTT and Stringify can't directly use a local API and so need Belkin to work with them to use belkin's cloud.  If it helps, AutomationManager can be integrated with Stringify using the same method used to integrate it with IFTTT.

by Petr
on ‎01-12-2017 11:04 AM
Hi Mike, when i said direct integration, i meant local access to wemo devices. As it stands i need to use IFTTT to read the state of my Maker sensor, set a variable on Stringify and based on this information i need to have another applet, using Stringify and IFTTT that performs open or close action. Then i need to again read the sensor status and update the variable.

With Stringify able to read the sensor state, i wouldn't need to perform this dance. Well frankly, with Wemo rules working as advertised, i wouldn't need to perform this dance at all! With the app and firmware update i had big hopes that they've sorted the problem... Seemingly no such luck!
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-12-2017 11:41 AM

I understand.  In practical terms, there's no such thing as direct integration without a hub link AutomationManager running inside your network.  

With IFTTT the Wemo Maker tells belkin's cloud of the state change, then belkin's cloud tells the IFTTT service (actually it looks more like the IFTTT service polls based on the slow response times I see).  Then it sounds like you've got an IFTTT applet that's telling stringify, which runs another action that I presume goes back to IFTTT to tell belkin's servers to tell the Wemo Maker to change?  Lots of moving parts that can fail or be slow to respond...

Yep, the wemo rules are understandably simple (that is, they're intended to be simple to understand, and sometimes the development team struggles to make even those work). 

AutomationManager running as a hub can cut out the need to go through IFTTT or the belkin cloud and go straight to Stringify.  You might even find AM's rules are sophisticated enough that you could skip going out to anyone's cloud (unless you wanted voice support or another external service like weather or geofencing).

by Petr
on ‎01-12-2017 12:12 PM
Something like that. Frankly for half of the problem, all i need is wemo respecting rules given to it. I.e. If sensor not triggered, relay momentary on, monitor after sunset until sunrise. That's all within the scope of the app. The rule becomes active, but Wemo maker doesn't respond.

I now have a raspberry pi on order and I am going to utilise the Home Assistant for some further tinkering.

For the second half, i intended to use Google Home to open and close gates by voice. That is partly possible via IFTTT, unfortunately without further long workarounds they don't know if the Gate is open or closed. Hopefully, Belkin comes out with their integration soon... Provides they don't leave Makers it the cold.
by WEMO Maker Inventor
on ‎01-12-2017 12:32 PM

Sure, that should work.  I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for belkin though...  sounds like they're working on Google home to add to alexa and ifttt which is now native.  But slow.

You're well on your way if you have the rPi, but for anyone else that's looking at this discussion: a brand new low end android phone is cheaper than a rPi (even adding AutomationManager), and comes with battery backup, usb power, and a touch screen.  Available at the nearest bestbuy/walmart/target rather than by mail.

AutomationManager is integrated with Google Drive so it supports IFTTT (including alexa and google home voice), Stringify, and any other app that works with Google Drive (android, ios, pc, scripts, web servers, etc), plus Tasker, automagic, NFC apps, etc.  It has rules that'll handle simple things when triggered like "if the gate isn't already open then open it" as well as much more complex automation.