WEMO Maker

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted

Need help: WEMO Maker controlling air conditioners remotely and sensing door opening/closing

My studio is constantly rented out through Airbnb, I'd say I get 4-6 reservations per month, and for each of them I have to give instructions on how to operate the AC and not abuse of its use and hope that they will read, remember and be considerate so I can make ends meet.

But as you might guess, its very common that I get a rather high energy bill at the end of the month and it's often because: 

Problem A guest will keep ac on with balcony doors open

Problem B guest checks out and leave the ac on (and I notice it a day or 2 later); 

Problem C they just wanna use it as much as they want because of "why not? I'm paying for it!" right?

So I've been thinking a solution for this big pain for quite a while and finally I've got started with it. Here is what I have planed so far as to how to easily turn off the AC remotely and solve Problem B

• 1x WEMO Maker connected to the 2x ACs (both 12000btu units that work as single) via solid state relay
  • 1x August lock on the front door connected to WEMO via IFTTT (rule 1: August is closed, Maker switches OFF / rule 2: August is open, Maker switches ON) *they will be instructed to lock from inside with doors knob's for instance, so August will be only operate from outside using their key.  

And here comes the part that will solve Problem A saving money and also save me from the stress and frustration of talking to guest only to be ignored... a combination of magnetic sensors and time delay relays set as ON/OFF DELAY.

• 2x Magnetic switches: one for each door (entrance's and balcony's sliding door) connected to Maker's sensor
  • 1x (perhaps I need 2?) Time delay relay with t1=300s and t2=120s

So the idea here is that both doors have to be closed in order to the air conditioners to be ON. And if ANY door is open for more than 5 minutes (guest is enjoying the sea breezer or something), air conditioners will switch OFF and only turn ON again after doors are closed for more than 2 minutes.

The concept behind this system is to save money, but most important it should be invisible and to not require any more explanations, instructions and solicitations to my beloved guests... I can add more details such as amper of the ACs here for those interested to help!

Here is an old picture of my apartment:

loft.jpg

*ps solution for Problem C is to stop renting it out lol

Re: Need help: WEMO Maker controlling air conditioners remotely and sensing door opening/closing

Put price up Smiley Wink

Re: Need help: WEMO Maker controlling air conditioners remotely and sensing door opening/closing

I'm doing that bit by bit Steve! But the more they pay more they want back!

Does this look alright? I'm not sure how to hook Maker up to the delay relay... I feel something is really wrong there.

Screenshot 2017-04-22 21.21.22.png

WEMO Maker Inventor

Right, the relay isn't quite correct.  You'll need to use relay that's rated for 220V and to handle the load of the air conditioner.   The relay will likely need a separate power supply.  Then you'd run V+ from the relay into one (either) Maker R and out through the other R.  From there to switch/signal in on the relay, and the other side to ground.  The air conditioner (load) side looks correct.  Maker on/off will turn the relay on/off to control the load.

If the timer delay use 5V and low power you may be able to power it from the Maker +, but you diagram shows it as using AC current so likely not - it'll need a separate power supply as well.  What you need is a signal from the timer to ground an input when it's activated.  So Maker S is wired to that signal in and Maker - to the timer ground (or common).

Another option is to get rid of the timer altogether, move the wire from pin 8 to Maker S.  Then move the wire from pin 10 to Maker -.  The Maker will be triggered any time you hit override or (any of the doors AND the deadbolt) are closed.

But then you'd have trouble figuring out the rules for the automation you want.  I'm pretty sure belkin's rules won't work here - you'd need to use something like Stringify, IFTTT or AutomationManager to make it work.

Hi iansampaio

Just a point regarding your power relay following Mike's advice,

If you're using an off-the-shelf electronic relay whose specification states a low-voltage input range for switching the output then that's fine. If you are using a opto-coupled triac as your diagram suggests then you'll need a current limiting resistor for the internal infrared LED. I don't know the voltage that comes out of the relay output of the maker as I've never used one but the formula for calculating the resistor value is very simple. Assuming the infrared LED has a forward voltage of around 1.6 which is fairly standard then the formula is:

R = (Vin - 1.6) / I

Where (R) equals the resistor value in ohms, (Vin) equals the voltage coming from the relay output of the maker, and (I) equals the current required by the infrared LED to switch the triac. The value of (I) is in amperes in the formula, so if say 20mA were required it would be 0.02 in the formula.

Regards

Pete

** Always kudo people who help you and mark their reply as the solution if they resolve your problem! **