WEMO Maker

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
RG

Rolling Shutters - Need Help

Hey all, 

I am relatively new to the smart home world, but am enjoying the learning process. 

I'm trying to get one of our rolling shutters on an automated system. My goal is to be able to control them from my phone and have them automatically open and shut at a given time each day. It seems the Wemo Maker has the ability to do this. 

The shutters are already wired into our home, and as of right now we control them through a 3 way switch (Motor Direction 1, Neutral and Motor Direction 2). Motor Direction 1 and Motor Direction 2 both shut off when the shutters reach the top-most and bottom-most position. The switch we are using right now is a light switch that has an up position, a middle position and a down position. We can certainly get a new switch if needed.

Motor Direction 1 puts out about 210 amps on the way up. Neutral puts out 0 amps. Motor Direction 2 puts out about 180-190 amps on the way down. 

As far as the wiring, I took the switch out of the wall and we have 3 wires that are connected. Wire 1 is black, Wire 2 is red, and Wire 3 appears to be a copper wire with a black casing (I'm guessing this is the ground wire). There are a few other wires in there, but I don't know what they are used for. 

Any help is appreciated, especially step by step instructions. The only electrical work I have ever done has been changing light switches or power outlets. 

Thanks!!!

WEMO Maker Inventor

Re: Rolling Shutters - Need Help

210A is a lot, you may have trouble finding a reliable way to switch that much.. At what voltage?

The easiest thing that comes to mind is to use a maker to switch a relay board (5v relays are a couple of bucks off of ebay or any hobby store).  Use the NO and NC terminals to switch the power through the COM terminal since the up/down motors are autostop.

Another option would be to use the "wemos" d1 mini (no relation to belkin) with a relay shield and set up my app (AutomationManager) AutomationManager & the ESP8266 to control it, then you could integrate it with the rest of your automation if you're using wemos.

If you're really switching 210A you may need some sort of solid state switch and a way to handle the inductive load from the motors which is going to get expensive.

RG

It's very possible that it is not actually that high. I am pretty poor electrician... 

For the relay board solution, is this being connected directly to the motor itself or to the wall switch? How would I go about connecting the relay board and the maker?

WEMO Maker Inventor

You need to know, as the relay will burn out if it's used over spec.

You can connect the relay either through the switch wires (assuming they're wired correctly for it), or directly to the motors.  The Maker relay is wired to pass the control signal to the slave relay when it's triggered.  Basically power out from the slave relay through either maker R, out through the other to the slave relay control in.

[ Edited ]

Hi Mike

Sorry to side step the thread for a moment, but you've just placed your post number 1234 !

Congratulations and thanks for all the help and advice you've contributed on these pages so far. Here's looking forward to your post number 2468 !

Regards

Pete

WEMO Maker Inventor

LOL, I really need to get out more...  Thanks Pete!

RG

Doing a little more playing around.. I found out that of the 3 wires, (Black, Red and Ground) the black wire is used to bring the shutters up and the red wire is used to bring the shutters down. I don't know if this is helpful information or not.. 

I'm trying to understand a lot of what is being said here. Let me see if I have this right...

Normally one would connect the Wemo Maker to the black wire and to the red wire in order to remotely control the shutters. At this point the Wemo Maker essentially makes the switch obsolete. However, since there is a danger that the relay could burn, it is best to put a 5v relay (board?) as a way to protect the Wemo Maker. 

Does this sound right? 

P.S. Congrats on the 1234 post!

RG

Learning as I go here. 

Just learned that the switch we have is a single pull double throw switch, so I'm guessing the third wire is not the ground wire. You can see the switch we have here.

Can the Wemo Maker be simply wired to control this?

WEMO Maker Inventor

That is a very pricy switch!  Yes, as you need 3 wires it is a double throw switch.  That one is unique with the center off position.  You mentioned the motors were auto shut off, so a standard 20A double throw (aka a 3 way switch) for a couple of bucks might have worked just as well.

No, a maker will not work there, as I mentioned you need a relay with NC and NO connections.

The Maker relay only supports up to 24V and a few amps if I recall correctly (best to check the specs, but no matter as it won't work directly here).  Normally you'd hook one side of the relay to power, and the other to the load - the relay would switch power to the load when activated.  But in this case you'd need to use the relay to switch a separate relay to both protect the load and provide the NC/NO options.  But you need to absolutely confirm whether you also need the off state as well since it was provided by the original switch.

You probably need to do quite a bit more research to determine how to do this safely, and even then you might not be sure - it may be a good idea to check into hiring someone to design it or at least get it inspected before you put it into service.