WEMO Application

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo can't connect after power outage

@Bilim35CI7 wrote:

If I leave on 20 MHz only no problems... If I have devices with 5Ghz issues I use repeaters for those.  At this point my 2.4 is the IOT band

Im going to run Cat6a from my Study to the Rumpus Room & Lounge Room and setup a downstairs repeater, but until then I need 40Mhz to avoid contention. When you have a few security cams, having 40Mhz on 2.4Ghz helps a lot.

WEMO Maker Inventor

Sorry, I believe I misread - your router was set to 40MHz only when you were having problems?  Yeah, I expect that would be an issue.  I think most routers come set to auto out of the box though.  Bilim and I are suggesting using 20MHz instead of auto for improved stability with the wemos which seem to use lower end wifi technology.

You could press an old router back into service for your IoT devices - run it on a separate channel and SSID.  Bit tricky to setup with the belkin app (aftermarket apps can make it easier) but then you could dedicate your main router to your higher bandwidth devices running in turbo mode.  This would also let you isolate your IoT devices to their own network, much more secure.

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

@MikeP wrote:

Sorry, I believe I misread - your router was set to 40MHz only when you were having problems?  Yeah, I expect that would be an issue.  I think most routers come set to auto out of the box though.  Bilim and I are suggesting using 20MHz instead of auto for improved stability with the wemos which seem to use lower end wifi technology.

You could press an old router back into service for your IoT devices - run it on a separate channel and SSID.  Bit tricky to setup with the belkin app (aftermarket apps can make it easier) but then you could dedicate your main router to your higher bandwidth devices running in turbo mode.  This would also let you isolate your IoT devices to their own network, much more secure.

No dramas, that's correct - the issues only occured on 40Mhz only, switching to 20/40Mhz auto solved the problem.

I'm moving to Zwave for my IoT gear where possible all managed by my Vera Plus HA controller. I'm even ditching my Philips Hue gear. I just retired my Wemo Maker Garage door system, I'm now using a designed for the task controller that wont be suddenly dropped by its OEM.

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-garage-door-controller

WEMO Maker Inventor

Hopefully.  The inexpensive China made cloud-only IoT devices flooding the market might have a lot of the other IoT vendors like Belkin and maybe even Lifx, Philips, Vera and SmartThings running scared for market share.  I can see it being hard for a novice to justify spending twice as much on name brands (especially with the reliability problems and closed systems that seem to plague them).  All of the boxes read "Google Home, Alexa and IFTTT compatible" so why pay more?

It'll take a serious security incident involving China based IoT clouds to hit the news before people will wake up to the risk.  Until then I have to wonder if China will force the others out.  There's already a rumor Belkin is peddling their wemo line to an overseas company...

(BTW, using AutomationManager or similar would have let you disconnect your wemos from the belkin cloud to preserve your investment and solve these connection problems.  And you wouldn't need to worry about if belkin dropping or selling the wemo line since it uses a local API).

Mike
Reliable and secure (Belkin cloud-free) home automation and remote access:
AutomationManager/HomeBridge/WemoLEDs/WemoHome/MoreInfo

[ Edited ]

@MikeP wrote:

Hopefully.  The inexpensive China made cloud-only IoT devices flooding the market might have a lot of the other IoT vendors like Belkin and maybe even Lifx, Philips, Vera and SmartThings running scared for market share.  I can see it being hard for a novice to justify spending twice as much on name brands (especially with the reliability problems and closed systems that seem to plague them).  All of the boxes read "Google Home, Alexa and IFTTT compatible" so why pay more?

It'll take a serious security incident involving China based IoT clouds to hit the news before people will wake up to the risk.  Until then I have to wonder if China will force the others out.  There's already a rumor Belkin is peddling their wemo line to an overseas company...

(BTW, using AutomationManager or similar would have let you disconnect your wemos from the belkin cloud to preserve your investment and solve these connection problems.  And you wouldn't need to worry about if belkin dropping or selling the wemo line since it uses a local API).

I prefered the Zwave route, despite the high cost, mainly because all the Zwave gear MUST be certified for each region because it uses licenced spectrum - this keeps the cowboys out of the market (it also uses a lot less power). Stuff like the Sonoff gear is just a house fire waitng to happen imo. The other nice thing about the route I've chosen is that my Vera HAC is local to my home - my house could have no internet for 2 weeks and it wouldnt matter as there is no cloud service to interupt. The only outage would be to my Amazon Echo's.

Dude WTF. Brand new Wemo plug, set it up, connected, and worked as it should. Next, I unplug the Wemo and move it to where I need it. Now it can’t be discovered, nor does it show up on the WiFi list to reinstall it. Did I buy a piece of sh*t? Can I return it?

Hi Werfwerf. If we may ask, what is the LED status of the Wemo plug? How far is it from your router? It may very well be that your Wemo plug is out of reach of your routers signal, that is why it does not show up on your device list. For isolation, try to move the device to a more strategic spot from your router and see if it'll appear back on your list.

Mark-22022
Wemo Technical Support

I have a similar issue. When there is no internet connection on my rotuer for any longer period of time, my smart plugs start blinking orange, but they are locally accessible. When an internet is back they still blink and cannot connect to the cloud, so the remote control doesn't work, though local connection works fine. When I disconnect them from the power they start blinking and cannot connect even to the access point. No local access in this case.

To fix it I have to reset the WiFi on smart plug and setup again.

Hi, onlyonemeWhen the LED of the smart plug blinks amber or orange, it means that the smart plug is not connected to the Wi-Fi network. The workaround is to power cycle the network: Restart the gateway/router and the smart plugs accordingly.

If the issue recurs, please email us at WemoCares@Belkin.com with your username, the link to this post, the model numbers of the smart plugs, and your contact details (name, address, and phone number) so that we can have our Escalation Engineers look into this further.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

[ Edited ]

I had this same issue. Before I saw this forum thread Wemo replaced the device thinking it was a hardware issue. That of course did not work.

Fortunately for me, I have a Wifi extender that I use to connect my light switch(and a few other IoT 2.4Ghz devices). I was able to solve this by disabling 20/40 coexistence on the extender so it forces only 20Mhz. 

I will say this is not an optimal solution and I would NOT recommend people do this on their main router. Wemo representatives on this thread argue that most devices connect to 5Ghz. This may be somewhat true, however, there are still many vendors especially in the smart IoT space that use 2.4Ghz. Limiting the Mhz band could impact performance.