WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Highlighted
Accepted Solution

Rule runs on one Mini Smart Plug but not the other

I purchased two Mini Smart Plugs, one in Aug. & one in Nov.  The first one runs my "on until time" rule set for from sunset to 12:00 a.m. reliably.  But I cann't get the newer one to run that rule.  It'll run from a time (e.g., 6:00 pm) until 12:00 a.m. just fine.  But when I set it to run the same "on at sunset" rule as the other switch, it doesn't do it.

I've tried doing a total reset on both switches & reinstalling the app on my iPhone but it didn't help.

Both switches say they have the lastest firmware that ends in "SNSV2".  Both say the hardware version is "v2".  The iOS App Store says I have the latest WeMo app: 1.22.  I have a iPhone XS Max running iOS 12.1.2.

Please advise.  Thanks.

Expert

Re: Rule runs on one Mini Smart Plug but not the other

Hi TedG,

Is there any delay on the rule or it doesn't trigger at all? When you say reset, do you mean restore to factory defaults? Make sure that there are no overlapping rules.

Let's manually reset the Wemo Minis and reconfigure them. You can check out this link. We may have to reboot the router first to refresh the connection. Force close the app or you can also reboot your phone and then create the rules. Observe and keep us on the loop.

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

Thank you for the prompt reply Reynaldo.  In answer to your questions:

• It's not an issue of a delay in running the rule.  It simply doesn't run it at all.
  • By "reset" I mean the procedure where you hold the power button while plugging it back into power until you see the light flash quickly.  Then it flashes alternately white & orange signaling you can redo setup.
  • No overlapping rules.  I have one that goes sunset to 12:00 am.  And then another that runs 12:05 am to sunrise.

So of the things you listed to do the only one I didn't do was reboot the router.  But I don't think it could be that because the switches are connecting just fine.  It's just that the rule doesn't run on both of them simultaneously.

I have a question that may be related to the problem I'm having.  Why is it that when I go to add another switch to an existing rule I'm prompted to select between "on until time, on, & off"?  That selection was the first thing I did when creating the existing rule.  It doesn't make sense that it would be asking me to make this selection again when I'm simply adding another switch to the existing rule.  I'm missing something...

@TedG

The latest firmware for the WEMO Mini is 2.00.11143. Try to double check it on the App to confirm. By design, the WEMO App does not let you add a device to an existing rule. You'll need to recreate them. Also, did you try uninstalling and re-installing the WEMO App? Please also try creating the rule for your 2nd WEMO Mini on a different handheld device for further observation.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Hi Jo Ann.  I confirmed that both of my Mini Smart Plugs are running the latest firmware.

"By design, the WEMO App does not let you add a device to an existing rule."  That's a big surprise to me.  The app implies to me that you can do just that.

If I edit a rule that's running on one of my two plugs, call it "plug 1", the app pulls up a screen that allows me to add a green check mark next to "plug 2".  Are you saying that is not the proper way to configure two devices to run the same rule?

Thanks.

We apologize for the mistake, TedG. You should be able to add a new device to an existing rule. You're editing the rule the right way. As a workaround, please try doing the following
▪ delete all existing rules
▪ power cycle the Wemo devices
▪ recreate the rule (this time, make sure to check the two switches)
▪ save the rule
▪ instead of setting it to turn on at sunset, you may try setting it to turn on at a specific time for both switches and see if the same thing happens

Regarding your question, "Why is it that when I go to add another switch to an existing rule I'm prompted to select between "on until time, on, & off?" — you still have to choose a time for each device. Essentially, you are just adding a new device to the same Schedule Rule, but this doesn't mean that the switches have the same "schedule." So you have to specify the "schedule" for each device. It's up to you if you give the same schedule (the same time) for the two switches or not.

Reil – 22071
Wemo Technical Support

Thanks Reil.  I just went through the steps you listed & my test schedule from 11:52 am to 11:55 am worked perfectly.  So now I have disabled that rule & added another one that turns them both on at sunset & off at midnight.  I'll let you know how that works out.

And thanks for explaining about how one rule can have different schedules for each device.

Reil, my rule that turned them both on at sunset & off at midnight did not work.  Neither came on at sunset.  And I waited a hour longer but still nothing.

So at that point I went in & edited the rule to turn them on at a time that was about 5 minutes in the future.  That worked.

So in my case it seems that the problem arises when creating a rule to come on at sunset.  Thoughts?

Expert

Given the situation and all the troubleshooting steps you've done, we'd like to have our Escalation Engineers take it from here for further assistance. Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com along with the following info: complete name, phone number, location (city/state), community username and link to this thread. 

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

Done.  Thanks Reynaldo.