WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

WeMo Light Switch with two wires?

I have been searching through the WeMo community forums for an answer to this issue, but I haven't found one yet.

I have a light switch that controls the kitchen lights in my rented home. The house is old (built at the end of WW2).  My current outlet and switch look like this:

WeMo003.jpg

WeMo002.jpg

My issue is that the instructions for WeMo are for newer outlets with the identifiable neutral wire. The instructions tell me to refer to the website -- but I can't seem to find them. 

Does anyone know where I can find those instructions?

Otherwise, does anyone know if it is even possible to connect a WeMo switch into this outlet?  

Smiley Frustrated

Re: WeMo Light Switch with two wires?

Nope, you will not be able to use a Wemo with that circuit and the wires you have availble in the box Smiley Sad

You'll either need to get an electrician to run a neutral wire ($$$) or use a different switch

Hi all on the thread

Our light switches here in the UK are wired in that way. I'm convinced that is why Belkin has not released the WeMo light switch over here even though we've been asking for it for ages.

As Steve says, a lot of $$$ to get a neutral installed at the light switch.

Regards

Pete

It is strange because we are directed to go to the website for "online support" if we lack a switch outlet like the one seen in the instructions.

When we visit the website, we find no online support for this. 

If you can't replace your existing switch with the WeMo switch without expensive rewiring by an electrician, then why direct us to "online support?

It really is a shame.

The Belkin Wemo video for the light switch does say you must have a neutral wire

https://youtu.be/gTBwx_1za2E?t=43

More info here: http://www.belkin.com/wemo/lightswitch WeMo Light Switch allows you to turn the lights on or off from the other side of the house, or the other side of town. Before getting started, you'll need to make sure your home is properly equipped with these essentials
Expert

[ Edited ]

@chrismireya

The WEMO light switch requires a neutral wire, it is best that you contact your electrician.

Chiqui-17359

WEMO Technical Support 

So now a days this would be way out of code. There is a requirement for a ground since the switch is metallic(yolk) and the neutral is really uncommon in most switches since they carry no load (WiFi on these use a small load). If you do not care about the code and potentially cause issues like burning up the switch and other things, you can connect the neutral/ground together to the box which MAY allow it to work (screw a normal screw into the box with the two wires connected) or the safest thing to do is to run a neutral (likely from the light that is in the kitchen down to that outlet and a ground.... from the panel if possible) You may need to hire an electrician since it sounds like your panel is probably extremely old and probably wont have a ground/neutral busbar to use. Hopefully this helps.

Disclaimer: I have used the ground/neutral together plenty of times but remember it is illegal to the NEC and terrible practice since you are going to potentially have current running through the ground (boxes and everything else metallic connected can have some voltage/current on them). But as I have done it like this I had no issues (Since all my plates are plastic no metallic areas are in reach normally)

That idea is so bad it should be removed by the moderators. Your recommendation could kill someone.

Go ahead and explain it to me how it can hurt someone. No metallic objects are in reach of the user. I assume you must be an electrician so I would like to know your explanation to just assume that. I am aware of what grounds and neutrals are for and what their jobs are. I take it you are likely someone who read a bit about electrical but haven't done electrical longer then a couple months or couple years...