WEMO Hardware

Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

Re: WeMo Mini broadcasts local switch network after setup

[ Edited ]

@Reynaldo_P

This may not pose a security risk but certainly causes interference (and a lot of it when you have 10 Minis).  My WiFI network slows down and devices get knocked off when all 10 of my Minis start broadcasting their SSIDs at once.

Expert

Hey glc650,

What workarounds have you tried to resolve the issue? Please try the step provided by Jan_B and observe.

Reynaldo - 22029
Wemo Technical Support

A factory reset or simple wifi reset fixes it but the fix is temporary.  It's only a matter of time before they all start broadcasting their SSIDs again.

Hi, All. There are no security risks of the SSID still broadcasting on your Wemos. Please be informed that our Engineers are looking into this.

Jo-Ann - 21744
WEMO Technical Support

[ Edited ]

Any updates?  I have the same issue with my Wemo Mini's, on the latest firmware.  Rebooting the switch temporarily removes the broadcasted wifi network, however it comes back and it cogests the hell out of my wifi network (2.4 ghz band)

**EDIT**

Well, after rebooting my switches the networks did go away and just did some further investigation.  My access points that broadcast my wifi network for my WeMo devices is set to auto reboot on Sunday's at 3AM every week.  This seems to be where the problem is stemming from.

What I'm suspecting is that the firmware on the WeMo switches are not optimized for re-establishing a connection after a temp loss to connectivity.  Once the AP is brought back online, other devices successfully re-connect but the WeMo Mini's struggle and continue to Broadcast even though they eventually re-establish a link.

I'm not sure if having a hidden SSID is a variable in this or not, but I'd be interested to know if the others responding to this thread have hidden SSID's as well.

[ Edited ]

Yes! I'm having the same problem! I'm getting awfully tired of resetting and reconfiguring my Wemos. This issue was first reported in January 2017 ... almost TWO YEARS ago. Any progress on a real fix?

Hi everyone. Please send us an email at WemoCares@belkin.com for us to endorse your cases to our Product Management Team for further investigation of this Wemo behavior. Don't forget to indicate your username and the link of this Community thread for easy reference.

Dennis C_18619
WEMO Technical Support

I have the same issue with my new Wemo Mini. I’ll be emailing WemoCares shortly.

I have 4 Wemo Minis and they continue to broadcast their unique SSIDs
I will email wemoCares and reference this thread

[ Edited ]

Hello,

I had the same exprience with all 3 wemo smart plugs. I was using two access points for 2.4 GHZ. One was on channel 1 and the other was on channel 6. They were using the same SSID and password. One of them was G only (ch1) and the other was N only (ch6). I was keeping the G just to support one old device. Anyways I simply changed the SSID of one access point (G only one) that is supporting that old device. Note that Wemo devices were connecting to this G network as well (not sure why they prefer that G network over N). As soon as I changed the name for G, as expected Wemo devices connected to newer N only network (since SSIDs were same). And miraculously they stopped broadcasting their unique SSIDs. Not sure the issue was having two access points with same SSID (which is perfectly valid setup) or changing from G to N but this is how I fixed my issue. Hope it helps.

-*- update -*-

My router restarts weekly, and this morning I saw that, again, Wemo devices are broadcasting although they are connected. I just turned off the radio and turn back on again. 2 of them stopped broadcasting. 1 was still broadcasting.

I enabled another router with same SSID, and powercycle Wemo, it connected to new router (it was still broadcasting). After that I changed the SSID to force it to connect to original router. It connected and stopped broadcasting.

Summary:

- Restarting Wemo doesn't solve the issue

- When the Wemo is active, making it disconnect and connect again generally helps

- However when you restart the router they may start broadcast again, disabling the radio and enabling it again helps.

It is strange that how the last 2 cases differ but that was my exprience. Hope it helps to resolve this problem since it is really annoying. They say it happens rare, not sure it is reaaly rare. Many people may not be noticing it as well.